Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Terroristic attacks today

From: Geoff Galitz <galitz () chem berkeley edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 13:04:45 -0700

My view is even if the folks who did carry out today's attack
do not use the Internet as a vehicle for further action, others
will.  Wether it be in revenge for the attack, or other groups
or individuals "spurred" to action by the events of the past
day and coming weeks.

Some of us are probably higher profile targets than others.
Major research universities, DOE and research labs,
and anyone who may be thought to be connected with
foreign policy in the slightest way come to mind as folks who
should on the look-out.

In fact, we just cleaned up a few machines that had been
breeched last night which did get me to wondering about
today's events.

Don't forget that we in the US have a few loose cannons
ourselves, and this list is an international list.  Any potential
fall-out will not be restricted to US sites.

As always, practice good judgement, vigilance and common
sense.

-geoff