Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Weird DNS scans

From: Seth Milder <mrseth () physics gmu edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 18:55:10 -0400

John Hall wrote:

We've identified several of the sources of these packets as either
BIG-IP's or 3-DNS's.  None of them actually have port 6667 open, so
that looks like an artifact of some device between the host your ran
nmap upon and the destination hosts.  Two of them are 3-DNS's operated
by realmedia.com (3dns.east.realmedia.com and 3dns.west.realmedia.com)
and several of the others are probably BIG-IP's operated by them as
well.  It looks like they've modified the 3-DNS Round Trip Time probe
settings to do five probes at a time, which some may consider excessive.

I've forwarded this information to our Support group to see if we can
help them configure their 3-DNS's to be a little less noisy.  If you
find these probes obnoxious, you can contact them and ask them to add
you to their 3-DNS do-not-probe list.  One thing you should understand
is that these probes are prompted by a DNS request from your site and
result in you getting better service from their sites.  Once you are
on the do-not-probe list, you will most likely get poorer service from
them.

JMH

Thanks a lot. If they are not malicious, then it is not such a big deal and I will not pursue it. I've just never seen anything like this and I was just curious to find out what it was. Thanks to the people on this great list, I have my answer.

Thanks again.

--
Seth Milder
Deptartment of Physics and Astronomy