Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Weird DNS scans

From: Richard Smith <eno_man () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 09:13:49 -0700 (PDT)

Can you post a sanitized dump of the scan? Are the
source ports incrementing by one and scanning port 53?
This is a common trait of BigIP it gathers RTT and
other stats so that it can properly route you to the
least loaded server via local load-balancing.

The only concern I might have is the fact that IRC is
reported as listening on port 6667. It could be a
compromised host. BigIP uses a modified version of
FreeBSD. I don't remember it using this port, but I
could be wrong.

R/

Richard Smith