Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Nimda Infections

From: "w1re p4ir" <w1rep4ir () disinfo net>
Date: 13 Nov 2001 15:49:58 -0000

When nimda was first launched I could've sworn it _was_ getting rid of all these horribly infectious hosts. Working
with a few clients It appears that whenever it tftp outs it creates a TFTPXXXX (where the x's are incremental), around
50k files... Now each machine making hundereds of connection attempts a minute this fills up. Besides some machines
having bigger harddrives than others, why aren't these too knocked off the internet? I remember watching the code red
boxes i had logged (nearly 4000) just drop off the net one by one. It was quite amusing at first, but I'm still baffled
as to why these other nimda infected machines aren't doing the same. Any one know/care?
w1re

The Best News Source On The Web - http://www.disinfo.com