Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Is this distributed SubSeven?

From: Glenn Forbes Fleming Larratt <glratt () IO COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 19:02:26 -0600

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Russell Fulton wrote:

Hmmm... are you in 24.0.0.0/8?  If so I would guess that what you are

        No. We, like you,  are a /16 in Class B address space.

seeing are trojans that are scanning (at random within their /8) for
subseven.  I have a program that detect low level scans and we see low
level probing for upd 137 (100's mostly in 130/8) tcp 524, 515, and
various other trojan ports like subseven.  I have alway assumed that
these were independently infected machines that scan randomly so their
probes do not have to bigger footprint on any network.  Typical rates
we see are 10 packets per day over our /16 address space.

--
Glenn Forbes Fleming Larratt         The Lab Ratt (not briggs :-)
glratt () io com                        http://www.io.com/~glratt