Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Windows ME and TCP/5000

From: "Vachon, Scott" <Scott.Vachon () PAYMENTECH COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 11:53:50 -0600

I found "Backweb Server" running on my "New" HP
Pavillion and determined it was "factory" installed
for some kind of automatic updates.  HP tech support
didn't know anything about it.  You could install some
tcp port monitor like TDImon to determine what app is
running on the port.

HP knows about it. Tech supp itself  does not know about it because it is
not in their "scripts." It was one of the first factory installed items I
removed from my system. I found I had to remove the backweb software plus
about four other "pests" sending data to HP ip addresses.

-S-

Disclaimer: My own two cents.