Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Windows ME and TCP/5000

From: Joe Matusiewicz <joem () NIST GOV>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 12:25:24 -0500

Why not load ZoneAlarm on it and reboot your machine?  When programs try to
load and act as a server, ZA will ask for your permission.  When you see
the prompt:

"Do you want 3V1L h4x0R pR0g to act as a server?"

This should identify it.  Answer no, then seek and destroy.  ZA is free and
you got nothing to lose.  I've used to discover spyware secretly bundled
with other programs that I installed.

-- Joe