Security Incidents mailing list archives

Possible trojaned wlogon.exe?

From: "Thompson, John J" <ThompsonJJ () mail medicine uiowa edu>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 13:09:22 -0500

Ive been keeping a close eye on the webserver and I just noticed that the
processor usage is really high. Since Ive been aware of it (about 2 hours)
the following process has been at or around 99% utilization:
PID 920 --- wlogin.exe

I checked for connections, but there were no ftp sessions and minimal web
traffic. No attacks flagged by blackice server, and no more than 9
connections on average. Every now and then, a visitor will suddenly have 5-9
simultaneous connections upen on high level ports.

I scanned the system for viruses and didn't detect any.

If you have any ideas, I would appreciate them!

John

John Thompson
Network Administrator
Dept. of Biochemistry