Security Incidents mailing list archives

Jetdirect card Attack???

From: James Edwards <jedwards () mail sdsu edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 10:07:09 -0700

Yesterday, one of the printers here in ITS began printing a Jetdirect Diagnostic Page showing a S/W Exception 00fb and a core dump ("Registers", "Stack", and "Register Pointer Memory Dump" in Hex). I changed the slot, and the error followed (from EIO1 to EIO2), therefore I guessed that the card was bad. Today another printer began to share the same symptoms. I have a hard time believing that two cards would go bad at the same time

Has anyone else noted this phenomenon??

Could it be a different type of printer attack than the port 515 attacks??

Jim

(PS, I've already called John and notified him--he asked me to post here (I'm also posting to the Security Focus list) for feedback.)
--
James Edwards
Instructional Technology Consultant

 (619) 594-5727
 mailto:jedwards () mail sdsu edu
 Fax (619) 594-4061
 <http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/dept/its/directory/staff.html#Jim>

For more information on this free incident handling, management and tracking system please see:

http://aris.securityfocus.com