Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Deserting Firewall Operator

From: Tim Kowalsky <webmaster () deltecsolutions com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 13:04:41 -0600

I think there are two very important question here which should be asked
before everyone starts talking about legal action...

1.  Is the former security person "harrassing" (I use the verbiage from the
original post) the system operators with messages pointing out insecurities
in the firewall config or is he making threats to attack the LAN?  (There's
a very large difference.)

2.  Was the "backdoor" put in place while the security person was still
employed and used for remote administration?  (Did he/she continue to use it
after parting ways with the employer?)
From the sound of the email, the former contractor left in a hurry (and a
contract dispute could be a legitimate reason to do that, arguably...) so
without further information it is equally possible that this was not an
insidious attempt to keep access after the fact.

The forwarded email from the former security person does sound as if he has
serious grievances (he feels) with the company, but there isn't anything
overtly threatening about it.  If anything it sounds more like a political
attack (trying to go over the heads of those he had disagreements with and
get them in hot water.)

Unless he's done more than this, you can't threaten him with legal action...
it's not illegal to tell someone that there are security holes in their
network...  at least hopefully not most places!  =)

If on the other hand this person is actively attacking (trying to break in
and do damage to) the LAN, collect the evidence and take it to the
authorities.