Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: ICMP_TIME_EXCEEDED to network address?

From: "Juergen P. Meier" <jpm () class de>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:16:59 +0100

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 05:41:04PM +0100, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:59:41 +0100, Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:

But they arrive too slow
for a DoS attack.

Maybe it's some sort of a scan, too?

I'm not a TCP/IP guru, so please forgive me if I'm talking nonsense, but I
*think* some hosts additionally reply to packets sent to the network address
(i.e. to aaa.bbb.ccc.0 instead of aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd with ddd != 0 and ddd !=
255) (much the same as to packets sent to the broadcast address which would
probably be more appropriate to address several hosts at once.) So in this
case they might reply to the "Time exceeded" message (with what?) and thus
indicate there's a machine running that particular IP?

Just guessing,

Ralf

Please read the RFC 1519 (available at http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1519.txt)
and understand that xxx.xxx.xxx.0 is _NOT_ nessecarily a network address.

It could as well be a hostaddress (of a router).

Try to traceroute it and see how many hops you get to this address,
if its near 64 then its absolutly normal.

regards,

Juergen

--
Juergen P. Meier                        email: jpm () class de