Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: ICMP_TIME_EXCEEDED to network address?

From: "Ralf G. R. Bergs" <rabe () RWTH-Aachen DE>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 17:41:04 +0100

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:59:41 +0100, Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:

But they arrive too slow
for a DoS attack.

Maybe it's some sort of a scan, too?

I'm not a TCP/IP guru, so please forgive me if I'm talking nonsense, but I
*think* some hosts additionally reply to packets sent to the network address
(i.e. to aaa.bbb.ccc.0 instead of aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd with ddd != 0 and ddd !=
255) (much the same as to packets sent to the broadcast address which would
probably be more appropriate to address several hosts at once.) So in this
case they might reply to the "Time exceeded" message (with what?) and thus
indicate there's a machine running that particular IP?

Just guessing,

Ralf

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\