Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Strange ICMP timestamp replies

From: Florian Weimer <Florian.Weimer () RUS UNI-STUTTGART DE>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:24:56 +0100

"Nexus" <nexus () patrol i-way co uk> writes:

The only effective (?) use I know of as regards ICMP timestamps is if you
are attacking a time seeded or based crypto method by trying to enumerate
the exact time on the target host.

Hmm, but you wouldn't send ICMP Timestamp Replies to gather such
information, would you?  They are unsuitable for remote OS detection
as well, I think.  I don't think there exists are device which
responds to such messages.

Might be something completely else as well - some broken/sick net
device ?

It has to be something like this.

--
Florian Weimer                    Florian.Weimer () RUS Uni-Stuttgart DE
University of Stuttgart           http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/