Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: DNS server crashed

From: Max Gribov <max () DATATWIRL YI ORG>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 16:06:22 -0500

BIND exploit I have seen used on me so far spawns a shell and crashes bind
in the process. So dead BIND could mean a hack attempt.

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Jason Lewis wrote:

Anyone aware of exploits for the recent BIND security holes?  I had a name
server crash today.  Nothing in the logs that point to anything, it was just
down.  It is the only box I can't upgrade BIND on.  It has a funky OS
install and I need to rebuild it from scratch.  I am waiting for new boxes,
so it is low priority.

I suspect someone was attempting to hack it, but I can't find any evidence.
It was just hung.

Thoughts?

jas
http://www.rivalpath.com