Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Crazy port 111 scans

From: "Reeves, Mike" <MReeves () SYNCHRONY NET>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 13:07:55 -0500

The root kit that was in my machine was in italian. It resided in a
directory called /dev/.a  Looking at the source and the logs it looks like
it sets the nic in promiscuos mode and sniffs packets. It also had an SSH
replacement that looks like it logged all logins to the system. (passwords)
This failed cause it was a fresh install and ssh wasn't on the box yet. The
rootkit also had caused a bunch of errors wich stuck out like a sore thumb
in the logs. It also contained a script to clean out the syslogs. I am not
much of a coder and I can't see what all it uses but it has the statdx.c
exploit bundled along with a port scanner. If anyone is better at
deciphering italian I would be glad to let you look at it.

Mike