Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Port 1033-1037 Question

From: ParallaX Research <parallax () PARALLAXRESEARCH COM>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 16:34:43 -0800

According to http://home.tiscalinet.be/bchicken/trojans/trojanpo.htm
1033 is Netspy-TCP

However this is important to note:
"Note: some of the more advanced trojans let the hacker choose which port is
being used. Here only the defaults are given."

If it is netspy, removal instructions from
http://split.netset.com/miscfix/netspy.shtml are as follows:

Removal v2.0
First go to Start -> shutdown. Select 'Restart the computer in MS-DOS mode.'
and click OK.
When your computer is at the C:\windows\ prompt, type the following:
cd system
del netspy.exe

Then type exit to return to windows.

Next. click Start, and go to Run. In the box, type regedit and click OK.
When regedit starts, you will see a file-like tree on the left hand panel.
Open the folders to follow the path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\
Click on 'Run' and the righthand panel will change. Look for an item titled:
Netspy = "netspy.exe" and delete it (Right click and choose delete)