Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: 1000% increase in traffic

From: Anders Thulin <Anders.X.Thulin () TELIA SE>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:14:47 +0100

Bob Wright wrote:

Hello guys, thank you for reading this email.. I beleave i might have an exploited box on my hands, At my place of
employment we usally range about 728b/s as our average for output (128k Connection)  Now starting at friday at 12am
to sat 12pm (about) MRTG (traffic analyser) showed us averaging about 7744b/s !! on a weekend at that late of night.
And all out to boot.

  If you have an exploited box, all that traffic should have the box IP address
as src or dst IP (or have src addresses not on your net, in case of
spoofed attacks).  Grab hold of a sniffer, and check what is actually
going on over the net.  It seems predictable enough for you to be sure you
can grab a number of packets.

This worries me because of our data (of coarse) or that we might have a possible client >on one of the many machines
for a DDOS.

  I've seen somewhat similar traffic behaviour with a customer network: usually
very little traffic over a 128 kb net, but one evening from 20.00 to midnight
it was flooded flat out --and then it went back to normal levels.

  We thought it might have been a very hard scanning or DoS attack after a
successful intrusion, so we called the customer to warn them. When we did, we
learned that we had witnessed a Quake tournament between the local office
and a branch office ...

--
Anders Thulin     Anders.X.Thulin () telia se     040-10 50 63
Telia ProSoft AB, Box 85, SE-201 20 Malmö, Sweden