Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: 1000% increase in traffic

From: Jason Storm <sec () ORGONE NEGATION NET>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 17:50:38 -0800

if i was in your shoes;

1) run tcpdump on a box on the LAN to get an idea of what the traffic is,
where its generated, and where its going.

2) if its generated by one box, take that box offline immediately and
begin forensic work on it.  hell, it could just be napster.  then again,
it could be something far less innocent.

3) if you are seeing traffic that indicates you are being used as a
broadcast for a dos attack, (what appears to be say, one host pinging your
broadcast and every box responding to that one ip), then you need to
configure your border routers to drop broadcast requests, no biggie.

-jason