Security Incidents mailing list archives

Help?

From: interfaced <christopher.shuttsinghaus () VERIZON NET>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 02:04:14 -0500

Hello,

I was hoping someone had a few words of advice to someone who seems to
be getting the butt-end of packet kiddies pranks. It started on irc and
now it seems i am just a toy to see how many times they can possibly
disconnect me. Currently I run Mandrake 7.2 with Ipchains and sniffing
via Snort. I can't exactly get their ips to report them because they use
the ever popular "smurf" attack. I was wondering if anyone had some
suggestions to tighten up security. I block all icmp via ipchains, but
no luck, I still recieve the packets which in turn does its damage. So
if someone has an idea, I am willing to listen.

Thankx Alot in advance,
Chris

P.S I see alot of e-mail where the people have the exact protocol of the
recieved packet, where can I get a set of these rules for Snort? ex.
[**] IDS159 - PING Microsoft Windows [**]
02/18-10:55:48.380987 64.6.180.88 -> 10.x.x.x