Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Handling Scans.

From: "Reeves, Mike" <MReeves () SYNCHRONY NET>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 19:07:20 -0500

It is not turned off on the router... I don't let destination unreachables
out from the router because you can map an entire network using that
information. I don't think that is excessive paranoia.. I thought it was
standard to tell you the truth. You can still traceroute the hosts.. So I
shall rephrase.. I have all the "BAD" ICMP error messages turned off from
the host. Anyone have any good recommendation on what ICMP to allow/disable?

Mike