Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Handling Scans.

From: "Harlan S. Barney, Jr." <hsbarney () NYCAP RR COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 18:36:45 -0500

I am on a cable system and get scanned or otherwise tried about four or
five times each day, but it has gone as high as 20.

I try to report all attempts.  I have a template which I fill by
cut-and-paste, but the source of abuse e-mail addresses I had been using
has just gone away, which is making it difficult, especially if the
address is in asia.

Harlan S. Barney, Jr.

Bring back the pillory and stocks!

"Reeves, Mike" wrote:

I was trying to get some community type feedback on what people usually do
in handling scans of thier networks. At home I usually look back at the
person scanning me. I get scanned about 5 times a day. Should I take the
time to contact the admin or should I just let it go? What do most people
do?