Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Port 555 scan

From: John Paul <jpaul () kormanmarketing com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:16:09 -0700

I think you overstep the "boundary". If this were my box, rooted or
not, I would not appreciate anyone "looking" around in it. I am not
trying to flame anyone, I just disagree with your judgement.

By this line of logic you would feel it is acceptable for others to
exploit things to gain access to your systems as long as they don't
change anything, correct?

Just my two cents.

Thanks,

John

Question:  How does the community feel about my taking a more 'Active'
role in
determining what was happening on this rooted box?  It can be said that
I did
bend the rules a bit by finding a way, low tech though it was- simple
is best-
;^), into this box and seeing what was running, just took a walk around
the
block as it were- did no mischief to the box, just looked.
But it does raise some question of ethics....the grey between the white
and
black hatted, or just wrong?
I'd be interested in opinions.