Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Port 555 scan

From: "Robert G. Ferrell" <root () rgfsparc cr usgs gov>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:45:31 -0600

Question:  How does the community feel about my taking a more 'Active' role in
determining what was happening on this rooted box?

Well, first of all, have you taken every possible step to try to
notify the admin of the box? If the answer to the above is "yes,"
then I'd say the only ethical thing you can do is to alert as many
people as you can with the details (which you have to a large extent
already done) and protect your own systems.  Vigilantism, no matter how
tempting, is rarely if ever justified, IMO.

Cheers,

RGF

Robert G. Ferrell, CISSP
 Who goeth without humor goeth unarmed.