Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Port 113 requests?

From: Brian Cervenka <brian () zerobelow org>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 12:37:37 -0800 (PST)

It's a trade. If you drop the auth attempts silently, you usually then
have to wait for the attempts to time out before whatever you did to
prompt the auth attempt can proceed. If you send a RST or
ICMP-unreachable, you don't have to wait for the time out.

In this case, it's someone's mail server getting the auth connection
attempt. Everyone knows where everybody else's mail servers are
(receiving hubs have MX records, senders are in the mail
headers). Sending RSTs on port 113 is just telling the world that you
don't want their auth requests; you are not really giving anything
away to an intruder.

It almost would be nice if we could get a stateful module for iptables and
other firewall systems that allows us to send rst or
icmp-port-unreachable to sites we connect to for mail, etc...and drop for
others.

--brian