Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Code Red

From: Conor McGrath <conormc () uchicago edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 07:07:22 -0500

Alfred Huger once said:

To follow up from my post earlier to the list, I recieved a deluge of
replies. If nothing else, this worm is costing people money in overtime
because the number of replies I got was a tad overwhelming.

To be brief, nothing much is happening. I am not going to caveat that with
'yet' because I am hoping that both this does not turn into a serious
event and that I do not have to eat crow for breakfast tommorow when I
haul myself out of bed. Of course, if our doomsayers are right and we are
all in for digital armegedon I may not be able to read my mail, which
might save my pride, for a while at least. Out of the responses I have
seen to date and they cover very large tracts of the net (two class A
responders and at least 5 or 6 class B's) no one is seeing anything worth
deep discussion. Hopefully this will not change.

At 12 hours past Armageddon we are seeing four to five probes per minute
now on our class B.  Not one machine on our network has probed outward,
however.  We'll try to get lists of scanning hosts to the appropriate
places this morning.

-Conor

--
Conor McGrath                                           Phone: (773)702-7611
Network Security Officer                                Fax:   (773)702-0559