Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: ICMP mapping, questioning legality!!

From: "Robert G. Ferrell" <root () rgfsparc cr usgs gov>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:02:31 -0500

A couple of days ago our snort detected a NMAP ping to all our public IPS.
Are they doing anything wrong legalwise? How can i go about it?

That's going to depend on the laws of the country you're in, and of the country
of origin.  In the US, port scanning is for the most part legal, although
generally frowned upon.  The best thing I can suggest is simply to block them at
your firewall.  If they're just doing a general sweep of the Internet, they
probably won't bother you again, anyway.

Cheers,

RGF

Robert G. Ferrell, CISSP
Information Systems Security Officer