Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: ICMP mapping, questioning legality!!

From: Rune Kristian Viken <arcade () KVINESDAL COM>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:11:25 +0200

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, you wrote:

While this may not hold for stupid analogies such as not passing through
an unlocked door which has no explicit warning against trespass
(eg. your car door), it's pretty obvious when you consider what the
Internet is for and why people usually connect up to the Internet.

I've always found the comparison between "checking if a door is locked" and
portscanning to be absurd.  Portscanning is like LOOKING at a house, to se if
it has any windows/doors at all.  We can't ban our eyes, can we?

And, trying to use existing services can't be considered abuse neither.  Only
if you try to break through the service offered, then you do something like
"testing if the door is open".  If I try to execute an exploit against a
daemon, then that is equivalent to checking if the door is open.

--
"Rune Kristian Viken" <arcade () kvinesdal com> / arcade@irc (EFnet/IRCnet)
Kvinesdalsnett System Administrator (http://arcade.kvinesdal.com/)