Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: odd message showing up logs...

From: bugtraq () NETWORKICE COM (Robert Graham)
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 18:24:33 -0700

http://www.robertgraham.com/pubs/firewall-seen.html#rpc390109

The system 24.237.52.26 is probably a Sun machine running Solstice Backup.
It is located on your same cable-modem segment. It sends out periodic UDP
broadcasts using the standard 'callit' portmapper feature. This is part of
the "background radiation" on such segments.

I'll bet that your firewall isn't as tight as it seems. I'll bet that your
IPCHAINS rules are letting broadcasts through.

Rob.