Security Incidents mailing list archives

odd message showing up logs...

From: jburroug () LIB UAA ALASKA EDU (Josh Burroughs)
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 23:38:34 -0800

I'm getting odd log entry:

May  3 22:14:12 discworld portmap[2371]: connect from 24.237.52.26 to
callit(390109): request from unauthorized host

Ok discworld is the name of my server, it's a linux box, RH6.1, has a
pretty tight firewall plus uses tcp wrappers, only machines inside my
little private network have access to most serives, http is open and a
handful of hosts have ftp access. I am running NFS and I do have port 111
tcp/udp block in the firewall. This entry just strikes me as odd and I was
hoping someone could explain what it means. Thanks in advance.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad."
- Salvador Dali

Josh Burroughs