Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Analysis: AboveNet attacks

From: root () RGFSPARC CR USGS GOV (Robert G. Ferrell)
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 07:36:28 -0500

In penetration tests I have been involved with, any information I
acquire about the networks and systems that I otherwise wouldn't know
makes it much easier for me to find the weakness(es) in the defenses I
am testing.

On the flip side of the coin, a truly clever company might make available
intentionally false network/security architecture information, just to confuse
potential attackers a bit.

RGF

Robert G. Ferrell, CISSP
Information Systems Security Officer
National Business Center, US DoI
Robert_G_Ferrell () nbc gov
Nothing I have ever said should be construed as even vaguely
representing an official statement by the NBC or DoI.