Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Analysis: AboveNet attacks

From: bugtraq () NETWORKICE COM (Robert Graham)
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 19:19:13 -0700

I'm primarily worried about script-kiddy attacks. In my paper, I outline a
couple simple steps that will make the network immune from script-kiddies.
There is no really excuse for being that open.

In contrast, exposing general topological information doesn't help script
kiddies, and only helps the "elite" intruder. In contrast, there this
information provide network management benefits. As an engineer, it really
helps me a lot. I find AboveNet to be probably the more engineer-friendly
companies out there. They not only provide status info to the public on
their home page, but lots of private web-page management tools for their
customers. They do lots of boneheaded things, but they also do a bunch of
cool things, too.

I would really hate it if AboveNet cracked down on their openness policy.

Rob.