Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: unapproved update from [166.93.60.5].61946

From: cbrenton () SOVER NET (Chris Brenton)
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 06:19:25 -0400

Teri Bidwell wrote:

I've coorelated these to windows 2000 boxes at a previous
employer.   They appear to be trying to do DDNS with their
DNS server whether it's a MS  active-directory DNS server or not.

Do a:
TCP/IP Properties--> Advanced--> DNS

at the bottom of the screen, uncheck "Register this connections
addresses in DNS". I believe this is turned on by default.

Other than generating superfluous traffic I have not found them
to actually do any harm.

Depends how many of them you have. Given enough systems, this can make a
pretty effective DoS as the boxes are *very* persistent in trying to
register.

HTH,
Chris

--