Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: IP Black list?

From: adam.kirby () LOUISVILLE EDU (Adam Kirby)
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 11:49:52 -0400

I think this is a great idea.  I am interested to see how some of the undeniable implementation issues will be
resolved.  In any case, the idea has my support.

AK

Stuart Staniford <stuart () SILICONDEFENSE COM> 05/11/00 01:55PM >>>
I'm curious to know what folks think of the idea of a real-time blacklist
for misbehaving IP addresses/blocks.  Some reputable person/organization
could maintain it, trusted folks known to the co-ordinator could recommend
IPs to blockade, and then anyone who chose to could implement the list into
router or firewall rules.

We could start by putting demon.co.uk into it until they stop spraying the
world with bad packets and repeating the same lame excuses for why they
still haven't stopped whatever is causing that.  It would also be a good
place to put Korean Universities and schools, etc that constantly scan us
and never respond to complaints.  If use of it became widespread, this
would tend to exert social pressure on bad parts of IP space to clean up
their act.  Their users wouldn't be able to get to lots of parts of the
Internet until they satisfied the blacklist co-ordinator that the problem
was resolved.

Thoughts?

Stuart.

--
Stuart Staniford  ---  President  ---  Silicon Defense
                   stuart () silicondefense com