Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Cracked; rootkit - entrapment question?

From: filipg () FW GEOLOGY PITT EDU (Filip M. Gieszczykiewicz)
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 13:52:07 -0500

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Roy Wilson wrote:
This is an old question. Entrapment laws change from state to state in the
[snip]
      Entrapment isn't an issue, if you set one up the defense will
claim that you were "maintaining an attractive nuisance", the same as
putting a sign saying "DANGER! PIRAHNAS!" on a pool or pond in the
hopes of keeping kids out of it.
[push]

So how about smuggling in some doubt into their minds: will I get
caught? Is that acid or water? Why is that water red? Will this
gate latch from the inside and trap me? Is that doghouse empty?

I'm installing DTK on all our school machines... not to _attract_
lamers but to make them wonder if we're _really_ worth the time.
Or maybe I'm just lying ;-)

It's a neat-o idea: waste their time... like owning a Win95 box :)

See DTK at:
                http://all.net/contents/dtk.html

Cheers,
Filip G.