Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Cracked; rootkit - entrapment question?

From: sysadmin () SASSPRODUCTIONS COM (Seth Georgion)
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 00:41:15 -0500

I keep reading various news articles that indicate that federal law
currently states that the FBI is not allowed to investigate if they believe
that the damage is under 5,000 dollars per computer and if they find out,
during the course of the investigation, that the damages are less they must
stop. I've seen a couple of articles on this on MSNBC, Yahoo and HNN over
the past weeks with the DoS happening and all. They seem to all indicate it
is part of Title 80 law but if so I ask this to the group then; Why is it
that everyone talks about getting the authorities involved when almost all
computer crime occurs state to state rather than intrastate? Doesn't a honey
pot, by nature, eliminate the damage factor? Maybe all of these articles are
completely bogus but I saw a quote from Janet Reno where she was urging the
5,000 dollar rule to be dismissed and most experts will tell you that the
FBI will not investigate if the damage is under 10,000. So what's the deal?
All I hear about is  trapping someone for the authorities and "I always
alert the Authorities!" and "It's a wiretap! be careful if you want a
conviction!" Is this all a load of crap from people who don't have a clue or
are all these stories and quotes BS?

By the way our company investigated pursuing damages once, just for kicks,
and our legal representatives informed us that damage can only be calculated
as loss of critical business and whatever the dollar amount per hour of the
employees involved amounts to. This would only include time spent fixing it
not time BSing and investigating and stopping work just because you'd like
to verify that all 24,000 company computers weren't subject to attack.