Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: sgi-dgl scanning

From: ellidz () ERIDU UCHICAGO EDU (E. Larry Lidz)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:58:43 -0600

Michael Stone writes:
Does anyone know why I'd be seeing an increase in scanning on port 5232
(sgi-dgl)? Is there an exploit for dgl, a trojan using this port, or is
it just people trying to fingerprint sgi's?

We saw a scan for dgl followed by a few connections to the Object
Server port (5135) on a few machines. The machines that were running
the object server then had a non-root like account added to the machine
(called "hehe") and and attempt was made to use the df overflow to get
root.

We've reported a possible Object Server bug to CERT and SGI, but
haven't gotten any information back (SGI's policy is to neither confirm
nor deny problems until there is a fix).

The Object Server was removed after 6.2, I think. I'd be very cautious
if you're seeing connections to port 5135 as well.

-Larry

---
E. Larry Lidz                                        Phone: (773)702-2208
Network Security Officer                             Fax:   (773)702-3219
Network Security Center, The University of Chicago
PGP: finger ellidz () uchicago edu or network-security () uchicago edu