Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Generic checksums (MD5 DB)

From: jburdge () AVENTAIL COM (Jon Burdge)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:23:59 -0800

I have been wondering if there are any public, searchable  databases
of MD5 (and/or other reliable digests) checksums of the
generic ships-
with-the-OS utilities?
[snip]

Pool our tripwire databases together??? I'd like to see if some kids
figure out a way to make their rootkit'ed version fit _one_ of the
"ok" MD5's - random chance? :-{

The whole point of a good hashing algorithm is that it should be next to
impossible to do something like that, even accidentally.  There wouldn't be
enough hashes to even barely increase the chances of something like that.

The real difficulty in this is how different a lot of compiled versions
could be, change something in config.h and you're going to get a different
hash.  Unless you're talking about vendor supplied binaries, then there
would be some standard, hopefully.

I think the real difficulty would be a logistical one -- making sure the
data is good, whether the bad data is by malice or mistake.