Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: 8 hours of pinging

From: bugtraq () NETWORKICE COM (Robert Graham)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:02:58 -0800

Was the machine itself pinged? I.e. was it an ICMP Echo Request (type=8)
sent to the exact IP address (e.g. 192.0.2.168)?

Or was it sent a broadcast ping, e.g. an IP address of 192.0.2.255 or
192.0.2.0.

Or was it a ping response, i.e. ICMP Echo Reply (type=0)?

The rate of firings is actually consistent with a smurf attack from a modem
user.

It is also consistent with your ISP doing rate filtering of ICMP packets,
and the machine being the attempted victim of a ping attack (e.g. the
echok.c script spoofs pings).

A packet capture with TCPDUMP or a sniffer would help track this down. (Of
course, some IDSs not to be named will also take packet captures and may
identify the exact signature :-) I would of course love to see the packets
themselves.

Robert Graham