Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Munged Napster Sessions

From: symetrix () SYMETRIX ORG (Michael Damm)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 02:31:46 -0800

Actually, I have a couple of ICQ contacts that are connecting through
demon.co.uk and I get at least 2 odd connection attempts each time they
send to me or receive a message from me. These ports can be in 3xxxx or
right down to 20, 24, 90 etc. I've never worked out why they are
sending the packets, and ICQ works perfectly anyway, so I would be
interested to know why I'm getting stupid connection attempts ONLY from
this ISP.

Aussie

Demon.co.uk is a fairly large place, there has to be someone there that
reads incidents/bugtraq.

I think I might be missing something, but why have these oddball packets
become an outstanding issue for so many people on this list? I don't think I
would receive the same lack of interest if I started sending random packets
to everyone that made an incoming connection to my network. heh.

   -Mike

---____
  / __/ Michael Damm, Independent Security Consultant
 /__ /  Providing cost effective NDA bound outsourcing of security
/___/   solutions. Visit www.symetrix.org or call toll free 877.534.6247