Security Incidents mailing list archives

nbname scans

From: RTORTORE () MOBIUS COM (Rick Tortorella)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 13:34:15 -0500

Has anyone noticed a sudden increase in scans for nbname?  I've gotten 3
different scans so far from totally unrelated hosts.  2 American ISPs and 1
Canadian ISP.  All within the same 2 hour time period.  Two of the scans
came from totally different IPs (1 candian and 1 american) but they were
timestamped with the exact same times to the tenth of a second and they were
scanning the same c class address.

I've contacted all three ISPs.  I was just wondering if there was a sudden
increase due to a new tool that was released over the weekend or if there
was a sudden increase in sales of _Hacking Exposed_.

Just curious to find out if it's just me who's been singled out or if others
are experiencing the same thing today.

Sorry, but I can't send log files to the list.  :(

-Rick