Security Incidents mailing list archives

blind forwards

From: kmccammon () TIDALWAVE NET (Keith McCammon)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:13:48 -0400

Hey all,

This may or may not be the right list for this.  It doesn't seem to fit
nicely anywhere.  However, we're investigating this at work, and I know
someone out there knows the answer.  (An incident I suppose)

I'm curious to find out how one could go about analyzing an e-mail to find
out if it is being intercepted upstream before it reaches the intended
recipient.  For example, with some e-mail servers, a file can be placed in
the user's mailbox on the server that will "blind" forward any incoming mail
to a given address.

SMTP Server --> Recipient's Mail Server--> USER-X (blind) and INTENDED-USER
(as usual)

I'd imagine that this is highly illegal at the upstream level under most
circumstances; and I know there's a way to find out if this type of snooping
is taking place.  Anyone?  Anyone?

Keith