Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Nike Site taken over

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU (Valdis Kletnieks)
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 16:05:36 -0400

On Sat, 24 Jun 2000 17:04:12 +0300, Aviram Jenik <aviram () JENIK COM>  said:
From what I've heard, this sounds like a DNS hijacking attack. I'd be
interested to know how common this is...

From what I've heard it's not really a 'DNS hijacking' but rather a change
in Network Solution's registration (domain hijacking).
You'll be amazed how common this is, and what amazes me more is that despite
the fact this is a very easy procedure (take a look at our article called

Given the number of people I *know* to be technically VERY clued people who
have been unable to get 'guardian' authentication of requests turned on, even with
assistance from the NSI staff, I'm not sure it's really as easy as you claim.

Grumbling about Guardian being hosed *again* is standard fare on the NANOG
mailing list.

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>