Security Incidents mailing list archives

(no subject)

From: henris () BGA COM (Henri J. Schlereth)
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 09:30:26 -0500

Date:    Tue, 30 May 2000 10:38:30 -0700
From:    Bill Pennington <billp () ROCKETCASH COM>
Subject: Increase in activity from China

Has anyone else noticed a dramatic increase in network scans originating
from China based IPs? It seems like the day the normalized trade
relations bill passed the house, I started getting scans from China.
Before I had not noticed any scans from China. Does anyone have a good
contact to report China based probes?
--

Bill Pennington
Senior IT Manager

It may not necessarily be China. Last year I had 4 probe/attacks.
This year I have already had 25. I run an intranet with a dial-up
and Linux firewall. The external IP is dnynamic and changes
every four hours. Of the 25, 4 were from Korea. I am actively
tracking the last incident from Korea and it looks like someone
in America took over a Korean machine and was using it to probe/
attack.

I understand that probing/scanning isnt necessarily illegal.
For that purpose I run monitoring software. But when someone
tries to actually access a service from the outside, w/o my
permission I define that as an attack.

Additionally, if you are scanning my ports and are using a
different machine other than your own, you make my suspect list.

So in short, it's possible that these scans/attacks are being
redirected from here.

Henri