Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: POP3 (110) Port Scans, New Exploit?

From: cmefford () AVWASHINGTON COM (Chip Mefford)
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:58:31 -0400

I too had this happen a couple of weeks ago,

The offending hosts were mapped to the Government of
Ontario and some dial-up site in the netherlands.

I have also seen more than just a few like this:

May  8 20:17:25 video1 ipop3d[28058]: Connection broken while reading line
user=??? host=UNKNOWN

This is a new thing. Never saw these log entries before this
month.

I responded by disallowing access to pop3 from unknowns
via inet services hosts.allow and hosts.deny.

Maybe I should have reported an incident?