Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: port 119

From: rra () STANFORD EDU (Russ Allbery)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 15:03:42 -0800

Thomas Molina <tmolina () HOME COM> writes:

The interesting thing to me is the change in pattern I've seen.  Port
scans for port 1080 at my location are quite common.  I've got logs back
90 days; Through the end of December I only see one scan for port 119.
I've seen three separate incidents since the 1st of January.

There is active scanning for open servers going on at present; you can see
some of the traffic in the newsgroup free.hipcrime if you have a server
that carries it.  Most of it is due to an ex-spammer turned vandal who's
distributing automated cancel bots that use open news servers in an
attempt to destroy as much of Usenet as he can because people won't let
him abuse it.  Most of the people who are using them are similarly
large-scale spammers, some of whom are on the run from the law.

--
Russ Allbery (rra () stanford edu)         <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>