Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: port 768

From: bugtraq () NETWORKICE COM (Robert Graham)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 13:05:46 -0800

Linux puts a lot of its RPC services on ports between 512-1024. Since the
installation of a distro doesn't have much variance, the result is that the
same service will likely end up at the same port.

Therefor, I'm guessing that the 768 is a rpc.mountd port common to the
particular distro the hacker has an exploit for. I'm not sure how you
identified the initial rpc.mountd (635 was common in RedHat 5.0 for mountd,
or it may have been from an rpcbind getport on port 111).

Robert Graham