Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: I was scaned

From: zeus () TETRONSOFTWARE COM (Gene Harris)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 22:20:09 -0600

If folks would limit the ports accessible from 53, that
would help.  Even on a stateless firewall you can do a
"from any 1024- to ${myip} 53" and
"from ${myip} 53 to any 1024-", assuming udp.  This way, at
least only unpriv ports are accessible.

It looks like the original contributor had something like
that implemented, or he wouldn't have caught the probe in
the first place.

*Gene Harris      http://www.tetronsoftware.com*
*FreeBSD Novice                                *
*All ORBS.org SMTP connections are denied!     *