Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Large quantity of traffic from amazon.com - source_port 3000

From: bugtraq () NETWORKICE COM (Robert Graham)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 16:33:31 -0800

Um, PGP is essentially a self-signed certificate. Therefore, it can just as
easily be forged as the e-mail address. There is no more reason to trust a
signed message over an unsigned one. You only have cause to trust a signed
message if you can easily verify the signature. Right now, the easiest way
to do so would be to simply contact Amazon.com, which you could do anyway.

If a company wants to make an "official" statement, it really should be a
document on the website, or you you are going to sign something, point to
the public key info back on the website so that it can easily be checked.

Rob.

PS: Dominique is in a weird situation where his personal reputation is much
greater than Amazon's, and we could probably verify his signature simply by
comparing is public key with other e-mail he's posted.

PPS: In any event, I'm not quite sure if the original posting was
"official". Just because you fail to disguise you identity does not compell
you to prove your identity. It doesn't make sense that Amazon would hack
customers, and Dominique's explanation makes sense whether he is affiliated
with Amazon or not. An "official" pronouncement doesn't lend it increased
credibility because a company can also lie.

PPPS: "Increased comfort" is a dangerous concept because many security
products are more about increasing customer comfort rather than actual
security.