Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: echo requests, 1480 bytes

From: 9d () COSMOSDIREKT DE (Fengor Wolfsclaw)
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 15:42:40 +0100

Mixmaster schrieb:

Big echo packets like this going out of our network set off our IDS
sniffer here.  It turns out they were coming from Macintosh PC's, with
one big echo request sent to a web server at the same time they opened
an HTTP connection.  The payload was always all 0's.  We checked a
couple of the Macs doing it and they had not been compromised, and the
users weren't doing anything to cause it, so I'm guessing it's some kind
of MTU discovery "feature" of MacOS.

wasn'T there a mail about something called "the mac attack" some time ago on bugtraq?
iirc it was an ddos attack that used these echo packets to multiply their traffic.

Daniel "Fengor" Brachmann