Security Incidents mailing list archives

AdForce hitting odd ports

From: RTORTORE () MOBIUS COM (Rick Tortorella)
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 15:24:46 -0500

Sorry, this is kind of off base.  It's not an intrusion attempt (unless I
really made a mistake!).

Can someone explain to me, probably off list, why adforce attempts to make
connections on high numbered ports?  I'm getting a lot of drops on our
firewall from adforce on high port numbers.

40277
40399
40495
42569

These are the frequently tried port numbers.

I think that these dropped requests are due to users going to websites that
have adforce banners on them:  But I'm not clued in to why adforce then
initiates a connection on the above mentioned ports.

Any help/advice/direction would be appreciated.

Thank you!

-Rick